Let’s Go GREEN!
What the heck does THAT mean? When we “go green” it means we’re making choices that are good for the environment – we are trying to turn it “green”, (think grass and leaves) which is good.
There are lots of ways to “go green” at the cottage – you just need to take a look around and decide where to start!
Ten Neat Ways to Go “GREEN“
- When you go shopping for groceries, make sure you take cloth bags so you don’t need to use plastic bags at the store.
- Turn off the water while showering and brushing your teeth.
- Start an organic garden at the cottage and create compost for it.
- Turn off lights and electronics when you aren’t using them.
- If your parents recycle, offer to do the sorting.
- Volunteer with the LOWDPOA to help plant tree seedlings each spring.
- Hand-wash dishes or only run the dishwasher for full loads.
- Talk to your neighbours at the cottage about doing a roadside cleanup one weekend – see who can fill the most garbage bags!
- Ease up on the video games – it will save energy – get outside!
- Don’t take a bath or wash your hair in the lake – lots of soaps and shampoos contain chemicals, oils, phosphates… all are bad for the lake.